Sunday, May 2, 2010

Plastic Man

Plastic Man stuck out to me as a stereotypical golden age comic. It somewhat confused me however, as I couldn’t seem to figure out who exactly the target audience was for this comic. Plastic man carries along with him a sidekick who doesn’t seem to contribute much to the story. Even sidekicks that don’t fight typically offer comedic relief or contribute something to the story, and I didn’t get any of that form this character.
The story was full of holes and very convenient plots points and problem solvers, which makes me think that either it was produced quickly and cheaply, or it was directed toward a younger audience; probably both. However, the spots of violence cause me to reconsider those reactions. There isn’t any blood or gore, but definite scene’s of people being stabbed in the back or having their necks’ broken, so it’s probably a PG-13 kind of comic.
Overall Plastic Man appears, based o this episode, to be a rather uninteresting comic. Perhaps I have grown bored of such simple stories where a “super hero” conveniently and flawlessly shows up and beats the bad guys. The superhero comics I grew up reading always affected me somehow. They got me engrossed in the story with the characters imperfections and problems. That’s why I grew to appreciate Marvel’s characters, because they were more human with their problems. Plastic Man had none of this. His plan didn’t run into any snares, his disguises were ridiculous, and he would say what was happening instead of us getting to actually see it. Perhaps it was just the times that this was acceptable to the audience it was reaching. Maybe they were into the action and the idea of these powers and that’s what kept them interested. These days we’re use to that so we need something more to grab our attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment