Sunday, May 2, 2010

Little Nemo

Little Nemo was honestly an uncomfortable read for me. I had a hard time thoroughly enjoying the story of his adventure in Jack Frost’s Ice Palace. I think what made it uncomfortable was the organization and the limited appeal of the characters
The most notable difficulty for me was trying to make sure I read the speech bubbles in the correct order. I am use to reading bubbles in their order from top to bottom of a panel, and that works well because it allows the artist to place the characters where they want in the scene. Here Winsor McCay order bubbles from left to right so that we read them as we would a regular story. Out of context I guess it makes sense, but after being use to the former for so long, this just throws me off. I also found that the speech bubbles were too isolated from the drawings, so I was paying more attention to them separately, rather then feeling free to explore the drawings as the story unfolded.
As far as the obvious race issues that people typically have with the character Flip, I by no means feel it to be proper, but I basically felt like it was so cartoonish, that the offensive nature of the stereotype was lessened. Honestly if I didn’t already have knowledge of the character, it would have taken me much longer to realize that he was suppose to be black. He appears to be green, and like most of the characters in this series, the face is so small it’s hard to see any expression or character come from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment