Monday, May 3, 2010

Diary of a Dominatrix

This Dominatrix Diary really made me gag and wince at the majority of it’s material. I wouldn’t say I was offended, because I don’t feel wronged in any way, but each page certainly made me quite uncomfortable. Perhaps the worst pages were the ones full of genital mutilation, which as a man, make me understandably sick to my stomach.
The narration is an interesting aspect as its not narrative at all as one would think a diary would be, it doesn’t even discuss the dominatrix’s thoughts or feelings during her client’s visits, but rather its more of how she does what she does. So I would call this more of a memoir then a diary.
The drawings have what I would call a mature quality. This doesn’t necessarily reflect on the constant sexual perversion, but rather the heavy quality of the drawings. There is a lot of solid black masses, and the figure of the woman is very curvy. It tends to remind me a lot of the animated film, Heavy Metal. The artist also introduces a playful quality, with the paper doll cutout pages of all her diffent outfits and “toys.”
Again I’m faced with a comic with no character that I can relate to, which is quite important for me to really get into a comic. It made me very uncomfortable with a lot of the imagery and subject matter. It didn’t offend me, just made my man parts hurt by looking at some of what she was doing to others’. I know some people are more into the S&M bondage scene, and maybe this would be better suited for them, but I wouldn’t want to read it again, or anything like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment